Day in history for July 11, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Newly mown hay has already commenced coming in. The crop this season will be one of the finest ever known.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The county board of supervisors set aside $7,500 for the new county office building.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- According to the board of education census just completed, there are 8,046 children of school age in Rock Island.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Official publication of payrolls and claims was ordered stopped by the Rock Island City Council last night. The action terminated a custom of many years' standing of allowing the public to view through the public press the city's outlay of funds on labor and claims.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Mrs. Robert D. Heitsch Jr., wife of Rock Island's new city manager, was welcomed yesterday at a luncheon given at the Paradise room by women employees of the city and wives of men employees. The Heitsch family has just recently secured a home in the city, moving here from Mount Clemens, Mich.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Alleman High School ahtletic director Don Morris, who retired just four months ago after 33 years as the school's basketball coach, is in critical condition today in an Albuquerque, N.M., hospital. Morris, 60, apparently suffered a heart stoppage after emergency surgery for an aneurysm Saturday.
Back: Available days in July 2008