Day in history for July 1, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- A new fire engine arrived yesterday for Rescue Company No. 2. It is a first-class engine and cost $2,050.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Several horses from Rock Island will be entered in races to be held in Monmouth on the Fourth of July.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Company A of Rock Island and Battery B of Davenport will stage a sham battle as a part of Rock Islands's Fourth of July celebration.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Cong. Chester Thompson of Rock Island received word today from Arthur O'Brien, secretary to Gov. Henry Horner, to the effect that the headquarters of District 7 of the Illinois Highway police will remain in Rock Island for the present.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- An estimated 2,000 youngsters at Rock Island's 94 playground and park areas will be taking part in a treasure hunt tomorrow afternoon. Directors of the various playgrounds will be in charge of the event. Hidden clues will direct teams to the treasures. Candy treats will be given to all boys and girls taking part in the hunts.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Larry Alvarado, Moline, recently was named first place winner in the Young American Patriotic Arts contest sponsored by VFW Post 8890 of East Moline. Alvarado is a 1983 graduate of Moline High School and will attend Southern Illinois University in Carbondale this fall.
Back: Available days in July 2008