Day in history for June 9, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The high water is washing much of the sand away from the track of the Rock Island Andamp; Peoria Railroad along the river on Water Street.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Work of spreading cinders on various city streets will commence tomorrow morning.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The annual tournament of the Western Golf Association will be held on the links of the Rock Island Golf Club June 13-18.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Edson Schull, son of Colonel and Mrs H.W. Schull, Rock Island Arsenal, is a member of this year's graduating class at the United States Military Academy at West Point, N.Y.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Proceeds from a benefit show held Friday and Saturday by a group of neighborhood children at 1612 22nd St., Rock Island, were donated to the Rock Island County Polio Chapter. The money collected was $16.65. The following children participated in the show: Anne and Steve Bregstone, Martha McHugh, Laurie Vogt, Mercy and Dick Hamilton, Dianne and Mike Arnold and Jim Spurgetis.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- A special exhibit of Buddy Andquot;LAndquot; toys will be on display at the Putnam Museum, 1717 W. 12th St., Davenport. The antique metal toys, now treasured by collectors, were manufactured in Moline. Fred Lundhal, who founded the toy company in 1920, named it for his son, the late A.B. (Bud) Lundahl.
Back: Available days in June 2008