Day in history for June 4, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Thalberg, the great pianist, will be in Rock Island Saturday with his troupe and will give one of his concerts.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Several Rock Island men will attend the national exposition of railway appliances in Chicago next week.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The Mississippi River is at the highest stage yet this year.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Bill Schmidt pitched his fourth straight victory of the season last night at Davenport Municipal Stadium, holding Davenport to four hits. Rock Island came up with 11 hits to down Davenport, 4-1.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- More than 3,000 exhibitors are expected to enter the 18th annual Rose and Flower Show, which will be held Sunday afternoon in Moline's Scottish Rite Cathedral. The event is sponsored by the Tri-City Men's Rose and Garden Club. R. Victor Hanks, president of the club, estimates the total of individual blooms will reach 3,500.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Some painstaking craftsmanship and a lot of love went into restoring a 1928 Model A Ford Leatherback by the Arnold Solomon family of East Moline. The work was worth it, and so is the car, to the tune of $18,000. Solomon is the proprietor of a new East Moline business specializing in stocking parts for and restoring Model A Fords, 42nd Avenue Sales, 4200 10th St.
Back: Available days in June 2008