Day in history for June 30, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- A meeting of the Rock Island Fire Department will be held this evening in the courthouse.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The city magistrate turned in $136.75 to the city treasurer which he had collected during June in the form of fines.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island City Council last night appropriated $10,700 for remodeling the city hall.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Announcement was made today by Otto H. Untiedt, general manager of the Rock Island Lumber and Manufacturing Co., that Carl J.L. Wessel, Rock Island, became associated with the coal sales department of the company, effective tomorrow.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Bill Starr, racing in his cars No. 7 and 7 junior, won four of the seven events at the Quad-City Speedway Stock Car races Saturday night before 2,300 fans.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Milan residents were bailing out this morning from a flash flood described by village officials as the worst to hit this low-lying village for about three decades. Wednesday's deluge left most of the downtown area under several inches of water, with some reports of water standing knee-deep along U.S. 67 and W. 4th Street in the central shopping district. Andquot;It rained so hard and accumulated so fast, it became an immediate problemAndquot; village administrator, Steve Seiver said.
Back: Available days in June 2008