Day in history for June 3, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Shearer, at his grocery on Orleans Street in Rock Island, has a great many of the luxuries for good living. Included in this category are jars of French strawberries.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Final examinations will be at Augustana College next week. Commencement exercises will be in Swedish and English.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Closing exercises of St. Joseph's Parochial School will be at the Illinois Theater on June 12.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Voters of Rock Island, Mercer, Henry and Whiteside counties will elect three judges of the circuit court for terms of six years next Monday, and will vote on the question of ratification of a proposed constitutional amendment to repeal the 18th Amendment.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- More than 100 rodeo cowboys will be aiming for a share of the prize money at the third annual Quad-City Rodeo, to be Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights at the Rock Island County Fairgrounds, south of East Moline.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- A bronze water fountain and sculpture by nationally known artist Gene Horvath of Rockford has been presented to the Rock Island Parks and Recreation Department. The sculpture was unveiled Thursday at a ceremony at the Hauberg Civic Center, 1320 24th St., Rock Island, where it will be on permanent display.
Back: Available days in June 2008