Day in history for June 29, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- We have received the first number of a new semi-weekly paper, just started by Mr. Frank M. Linehan, in Moline. It is neatly printed and bids fair to become one of the permanent institutions of that place.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Hot weather in this area is driving the residents to their summer camps.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The Harper house in Rock Island is to be remodeled at an estimated cost of $100,000.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Herbert E. Liljegren, 2019 15th Street, Moline, was appointed Rock Island County adult probation officer today by Circuit Judge Nels A. Larson. He assumes his new duties Saturday. Judge Larson entered a court order coincident with the appointment of Mr. Liljegren, terminating tomorrow the tenure of Charles Oswald of Rock Island and James J. Trevor of Moline as probation officers.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Two teenage fishermen uncovered a strange find on Big Island along the Hennepin Canal this morning -- eight sticks of dynamite, a detonating cap and a fuse which had been lighted but had failed to burn down.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Low bids for plumbing, heating and electrical work at the new Rock Island County Jail are $400,000 less than expected, and much of the work will be done by local firms. The apparent low bids added up to $1,872,488.
Back: Available days in June 2008