Day in history for June 26, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The steamer Tishomingo will make a moonlight excursion down the river on Wednesday.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Rock Island's business men appointed a committee to make recommendations for improving the city's harbor on the Mississippi River.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Joe Berger, Rock Island baseball player, is wanted by two major league clubs, it is reported. No deal will be made until the close of the present season.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Work of remodeling the Wheelan Funeral Home, Rock Island, and constructing a new 2-story addition at the rear of the property, was begun today. The project will cost about $20,000.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Members of the Pilot club of Rock Island enjoyed a cruise on the Mississippi aboard the Pipe Dream last night. Dinner was served on board, with arrangements made by Mrs. Besse Schultz and Mrs. Viola Kistler.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Sales at the Rock Island County Car Dealers Association auto show being held this weekend at Moline's Wharton Field House have been as hot as the weather itself. Andquot;Fantastic, more than pleased,Andquot; said Murrell Peterson, sales manager for Horst-Zimmerman, Rock Island. Fourteen dealers brought 450 new cars, vans and trucks to the parking lot of the Field House for the three-day sale which continues this afternoon.
Back: Available days in June 2008