Day in history for June 23, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Since the warm weather has set in, great precaution should be taken to have all the filth and refuse matter taken from our streets. This deserves the immediate attention of our authorities.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Two boisterous drunks aroused residents near 3rd Avenue and 3rd Street last night by firing pistols in the air.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Friday, July 10, is the day set aside for the dedication of Long View Park.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Lightning struck three homes and two buildings in Rock Island and Moline and Washington School in Moline within a half-hour period during this afternoon's severe thunderstorm. Lightning also struck a tree in the yard of another Rock Island home.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- A 4-H judging team to represent Rock Island County in the state judging contest July 1 at Urbana was selected Saturday at the annual 4-H federation judging contest on the Wallie Neumann farm in Rural Township.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Orange flames brightened the early morning sky in downtown Rock Island today, and black and gray smoke wafted across the Mississippi River when a post-midnight blaze worked its way through the vacant Chances Are cocktail lounge and disco. No one was injured as the fire of unknown origin gutted the two-story building at 2116 4th Ave.
Back: Available days in June 2008