Day in history for June 23, 2008

1858 -- 150 years ago
Since the warm weather has set in, great precaution should be taken to have all the filth and refuse matter taken from our streets. This deserves the immediate attention of our authorities.

1883 -- 125 years ago
Two boisterous drunks aroused residents near 3rd Avenue and 3rd Street last night by firing pistols in the air.

1908 -- 100 years ago
Friday, July 10, is the day set aside for the dedication of Long View Park.

1933 -- 75 years ago
Lightning struck three homes and two buildings in Rock Island and Moline and Washington School in Moline within a half-hour period during this afternoon's severe thunderstorm. Lightning also struck a tree in the yard of another Rock Island home.

1958 -- 50 years ago
A 4-H judging team to represent Rock Island County in the state judging contest July 1 at Urbana was selected Saturday at the annual 4-H federation judging contest on the Wallie Neumann farm in Rural Township.

1983 -- 25 years ago
Orange flames brightened the early morning sky in downtown Rock Island today, and black and gray smoke wafted across the Mississippi River when a post-midnight blaze worked its way through the vacant Chances Are cocktail lounge and disco. No one was injured as the fire of unknown origin gutted the two-story building at 2116 4th Ave.

Back: Available days in June 2008




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)