Day in history for June 2, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The city authorities think that 75 cents a day is about as much as laborers are worth who are engaged on the streets. The laborers think otherwise and have decided not to go to work at that price.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The High School Alumni Association will hold a special meeting at the rooms of the Board of Education to complete arrangements for the annual reunion.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Albert Huber of Rock Island was elected vice president of the State League of German Catholic Societies.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Miss Iva C. Pearce, head of the speech department at Augustana College for the past 27 years, taught her last class at the college this week. Miss Pearce retired from the school of oral expression which she founded in September, 1906.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- A capacity audience, swelled by the hundreds of alumni and parents of 1958 graduates of Augustana College, on campus for commencement weekend activities, packed the gymnasium for the annual home concert of the Augustana Choir.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Coolidge Junior High School might be closing, but thanks to a variety of memorabilia, it won't quickly be forgotten. The school is offering commemorative yearbooks, a choir, band and orchestra album, and a history of the school for sale at the school until June 17.
Back: Available days in June 2008