Day in history for June 16, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Last Saturday, although cool, was a fine day. The general impression appears to be that we are going to have summer.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The city waterworks have undergone a thorough overhauling and everything is in splendid working order.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- At the regular meeting of the city council a beginning was made for a system by which the city can determine accurately the quality of gas and voltage of electricity furnished customers by the power company.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Augustana College was restored to good standing in the North Central Association of Colleges today by the executive committee pending a re-inspection later this year. President Andreen and Dean Wald appeared in behalf of the college.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Two local tennis players, Dick Goepel, Moline ace and Dave Ray, mainstay of Rock Island High School's varsity net team will be sponsored by the Moline Jaycees in the Illinois State Jaycee Tennis tournament at Eastern Illinois University, Charleston, June 27-29.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Moline residents will pay more for water Sept. 1 if two city council committees have their way. The water and finance committees called for the rate hike Wednesday night -- eight days after the council approved a 120 percent increase in the sewer rates.
Back: Available days in June 2008