Day in history for June 14, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Some misprints occurred in yesterday's edition of the paper. We called Mr. Boyce's free-trade resolutions a matter of ''fanatical statesmanship.Andquot; It should have been Andquot;practical statesmanship.Andquot;
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The city prison will be remodeled and lined with sheet iron, making it fireproof.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Captain H.A. McDonald left Rock Island today to be present at the national Republican convention in Chicago.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Strike up the band. Our Islanders moved into first place in the Mississippi Valley League last night by trimming Keokuk, 4-1, while Davenport was taking it on the chin in Peoria.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- The 183rd anniversary of the Army Corps of Engineers will be observed at brief ceremonies Monday morning at the Clock Tower headquarters of the Rock Island District.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- The family of Frank and Karen Sibley of Rock Island is three members larger today. Triplets were born to the couple shortly before 6 p.m. Monday. The two infant girls, their brother and their mother are all doing well at Franciscan Hospital in Rock Island today. Mr. Sibley said the babies were the first triplets to be born at Franciscan. The father said the date of delivery, June 13, was the exact date predicted by the doctor months ago.
Back: Available days in June 2008