Day in history for June 13, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- We have been informed that it is not a steam, but a one-man power ferry boat that is running from Moline to Gilberttown.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Harper's Theater was crowed last night for the annual commencement exercises of Rock Island High School.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Churches of Rock Island will observe Sunday as Children's Day.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Albert Brandenburg, Rock Island, was elected commander of Rock Island Commandery No. 18, Knights Templar, last night at the Masonic Temple.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- The largest American Flag ever made by the Regalia Manufacturing Co., Rock Island, is being completed and will be delivered within a few days to a riding club at Wever, Iowa. The huge banner will be carried between six horses. The flag is 18 by 36 feet and Mrs. Florence Turner and Mrs. Bessie Baker did most of the work on the flag.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Several days of site preparation work are needed before the wrecking ball demolishes Jordan Catholic School, 214 14th St., Rock Island, the site of the new Rock Island County jail. Workers were at the site today erecting a fence that will contain falling debris. Water and sewer lines have to be shut down, and telephone and electric power lines must be removed before demolition can begin next week.
Back: Available days in June 2008