Day in history for June 12, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The 42nd regular meeting of the Young Men's Association will be held at the city library tonight. The resolution to be offered declares that the slaves in America suffer more from oppression than the poor of Europe.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Because of the scarcity of wheat, flour has advanced in price 30 cents a barrel.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The 15th head camp session of the Modern Woodmen of America will convene in Peoria June 16.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- An executive committee composed of representatives of the city of Rock Island, the Tri-City Federation of Labor and the Rock Island Chamber of Commerce was formed to take charge of organizing a community campaign to obtain necessary signatures of depositors to put into effect the plan of State Auditor Edward Barrett for the reopening of the Rock Island Bank and Trust Co.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Competition in drag racing and aerobatics will be offered Sunday afternoon at the Quad-City Drag Strip, located north of Cordova on Route 80.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- An aggressive corporate-wide energy management program initiated by Deere Andamp; Co. in 1973 has saved, to date, more than 70.1 trillion BTU'S - enough to heat approximately 520,000 homes in the Midwest for one year. This represents a cost avoidance of more than $280 million.
Back: Available days in June 2008