Day in history for June 1, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Do not forget the exhibition of the Mormons at Island City Hall. The paintings will be viewed with much interest by all who may visit it.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- June, the month of roses, is here. We trust it will give us better weather than its predecessor.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- City Clerk Martin T. Rudgren is in Chicago today attending the meeting of the executive committee of the association of city clerks and attorneys.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Members of Playcrafters, Rock Island's little theater organization, elected Miss Dorothy Harder, Rock Island, as president for the 1933-34 season last evening at Fairview Inn, Milan.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Any tavern owners arrested by police on gambling charges will have their licenses suspended for 30 days, Mayor Arnold R. Smith said today in answer to complaints about gambling in Moline taverns. The mayor said he did not believe there is any widespread gambling in the city but he is determined not to let it get a start.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Len Robert Small, The Daily Dispatch publisher, has been appointed president and chief executive officer of the Small Newspaper Group Inc., it was announced today. He succeeds Jean Alice Small, who becomes chairman of the board of the family-held daily and weekly publications.
Back: Available days in June 2008