Day in history for May 9, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The Davenport News reports that there was quite a bit of excitement on Main Street in Davenport yesterday. It was occasioned by a party of young men from Rock Island who crossed the river for a 'bender.' The young men finally were released on a promise that they would leave immediately for Rock Island.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Yesterday must have been bock beer day in Davenport, judging by the heavy traffic on the ferry boat.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The monthly report of the Humane Society showed that 19 teamsters were reprimanded for mistreating horses last month.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- An electric refrigerator, gas range, electric washer and an electric food mixer will be among the major prizes given at The Argus free cooking school at the Fort Theater May 16-18.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Next Thursday will be Straw Hat Day in Rock Island, officially ushering in the season for men to put away their winter felt head pieces and don the lightweight model for summertime. Plans for the annual affair were made yesterday at a meeting of the Rock Island Chamber of Commerce at the Harper House.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- A new sculpture, 'Rhythm,' by Gene Horvath was unveiled Sunday on the front lawn of the Davenport Art Gallery. The sculpture was commissioned by the Maka Gallery, Rock Island.
Back: Available days in May 2008