Day in history for May 8, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Yesterday was the beginning of fine weather we hope. The roads could not be worse than they are now. A few days of sunshine will bring them around again.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The Businessmen's Association will hold its regular monthly meeting tonight in the city hall.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The car on the Milan stub line jumped the track last night on the way to Milan.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- The address at the commencement exercises for the 1933 Rock Island High School graduating class will be delivered by Dr. G.A. Andreen, president of Augustana College and Theological Seminary, it was announced today by Earl H. Hanson, principal. Exercises will be June 2 at the Augustana College gymnasium.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Bicycle Safety Week in Moline will open Saturday with bike riders taking tests in an attempt to qualify for a safe rider certificate and a sticker for bicycles. Mayor Arnold R. Smith has proclaimed the period of May 10-17 Bicycle Safety Week.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Members of the Moline High School Building Trades class are constructing a cover for the old Lincoln-Irving School bell in front of the new Lincoln-Irving School. Students Mark Bergherer and Lan Duong, were assisted by Ray Norris, the building trades instructor. The old school burned several years ago.
Back: Available days in May 2008