Day in history for May 7, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- There are persons in this city who are engaged in acts, which if not checked, will lead to serious results. Four buildings have been fired within a short space of time.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The monthly report of the Rock Island Public Library showed that 1,566 books were in circulation during April.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The Augustana College debating team left last night for Lindskog, Kan., where they will debate with a team representing Bethany College.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- More than 175 workers began solicitations today in the Rock Island Community Chest campaign. The goal is $22,000.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Permits to construct 21 dwellings, estimated to cost $285,390, were issued today and yesterday by the building inspector's office in Rock Island. Bulk of the construction will be in the Orchard Grove Addition, where permits to construct 17 homes, each valued at $12,500, were issued to Ray Knueppel And Co., Rock Island. Four other home permits also were issued.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Four-year-old Jayson Saylor, son of Jay and Mary Saylor of Atkinson, tried the softball throw during the Cambridge Rotary Special Olympics recently. Jayson took first in his division with a toss of 7 feet, .4 inches.
Back: Available days in May 2008