Day in history for May 31, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Mrs. Britt, who is giving a course of lectures on spirituals at the Island City Hall, is said to be a fine speaker.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- In addition to a circus and Memorial Day, the usual holiday rain is with us.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The Rev. W. B. Clemmer will deliver the baccalaureate sermon to the graduating class of Rock Island High School tomorrow evening.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Politics, patriotic messages and athletic events were mingled this afternoon at Black Hawk State Park as the Rock Island County Jeffersonian Club sponsored a public outing. Hundreds of persons thronged the grounds. Among the speakers were Democratic judicial candidates Attorney Clyde S. Walker, Judge J. Paul Califf and Attorney Jacob Cantlin.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Twenty-eight members of the 1928 Augustana College Concert Band met for their 30th anniversary reunion last night in the Fort Armstrong Hotel, Rock Island. A total of 50 persons attended the banquet.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Kevin DeNike's approach shot and resulting birdie putt allowed him to win the Quad City Amateur Golf tournament Sunday in rainy, windy, conditions at Emeis Park. DeNike's approach shot from 40 feet out landed just two feet from the hole, and his putt gave him a one-shot win over Greg Tebbutt and Carlos Salaber.
Back: Available days in May 2008