Day in history for May 30, 2008

1858 -- 150 years ago
Today, by telegraph expressly for this paper: no report.

1883 -- 125 years ago
Public schools close for the summer June 7 with graduation exercises set for June 11.

1908 -- 100 years ago
The commander-in-chief of the Cuban Army visited Rock Island Arsenal today.

1933 -- 75 years ago
Contract for sale of the Rock Island Brewing Co., to Heino F. Busch, James J. Redding and Charles J. Venn for the sum of $250,000 was recorded in the office of John Devine, county recorder.

1958 -- 50 years ago
Earl J. Calkins, son of Mr. and Mrs. Earl J. Calkins, 2459 18th Ave., Rock Island, will be ordained into the priesthood on June 1 in St. Mary's Cathedral, Peoria. The sacrament will be conferred by the Most Rev. William E. Cousins, bishop of Peoria. Calkins attended Sacred Heart and St. Joseph's Schools in Rock Island and was a member of the first graduating class at Alleman High School.

1983 -- 25 years ago
A six-horse pileup today resulted in a three horse finish and big perfecta payoff at the Quad-City Downs. In the eighth race, No. 4 horse Phlox became tangled in traffic near the half mile pole. None of the horses or drivers were injured seriously. After the pileup, No. 3 Hallmaster, No. 9 Skippy Bearcat and No. 2 Goin Bret were able to finish. The 3-9 perfecta paid $529.

Back: Available days in May 2008



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)