Day in history for May 29, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Ladies, hoop yourselves. For further information, see the advertisement of Smith's Variety Store.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The Rodman Rifles met at the Armory this afternoon and went to the Arsenal to place their floral tribute at the tomb of General Rodman.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Almost 100 delegates to the annual state meeting of the German Catholic Society arrived in the city today. About 300 are expected for the opening services tomorrow.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Confidence that reductions in gas and electric rates will be ordered for Rock Island, Moline and East Moline by the Illinois Commerce Commission, has been increased by the announcement that negotiations in Davenport with the Peoples Light Co. have resulted in a proposal to the City Council of Davenport for a flat 13 percent reduction in electric light rates.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Bill Parsons, son of Dr. and Mrs. Parsons, and Stuart Nelson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Nelson, were named valedictorian and salutatorian of the senior class at Moline High School.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Union workers at Davenport Packing Co., Milan, went on strike Saturday after a breakdown of contract negotiations. The 48 members of United Food and Commercial Workers Local 431, had been working under an extension of a contract.
Back: Available days in May 2008