Day in history for May 27, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- We thank our fellow townsman A. K. Philleo, now touring the south, for the newspaper from various points between St. Louis and New Orleans. Editors always know how to appreciate such attention.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The organization of the Rock Island Grand Army of the Republic Post was deferred until May 30, as Mr. Cavello of Peoria failed to arrive.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The eighth annual state convention of post office clerks will be held in Rock Island next week.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- The 1933 Watch Tower annuals will be distributed to seniors at Rock Island High School after class day exercises May 31. Other students will receive their copies June 2. Gynath Billeter was editor- in- chief and Dorthea O'Dean was associate editor.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- The Mississippi River has fallen to the lowest May levels since the locks and dams were put into operation, according to the Rock Island District, Army Corps of Engineers. This decline is continuing.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- A reported sighting of a body floating in the river this morning sent local law enforcement officials scrambling. After an hour-long search, a body was pulled from the river. The body of a deer. A motorist passing over the Interstate 280 bridge reported seeing a object that appeared to be a body.
Back: Available days in May 2008