Day in history for May 25, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- George Crantz, who keeps a grocery store in the first ward, was fined last Wednesday, $15 and costs, for selling liquor without a license. Persons who are practicing this game, would do well to desist. If they do not, they will be nabbed before they are aware of it.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Many Rock Island residents went to Davenport today to see the wild west show and Buffalo Bill. The streets were crowded yesterday to witness the annual parade of the Rock Island fire department.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Eighty-nine graduates of the different departments of Augustana College heard Dr. G. A. Andreen, president, deliver the baccalaureate sermon at the college yesterday.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- The new store of the J.J. Newberry company, 1712 Second Ave., Rock Island, will be opened for business at 9 o'clock tomorrow morning. The new building and fixtures represent an investment of approximately $35,000.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Consistency paid off for Franklin Andquot;WhiteyAndquot; Barnard as he captured the Quad-City Amateur Golf tournament title yesterday at Credit Island.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- The Visiting Nurse and Homemaker Association of Rock Island County is launching a campaign to raise $250,000 in 30 days to buy its present home at 1803 7th St., Moline.
Back: Available days in May 2008