Day in history for May 23, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Next Monday is the anniversary of the Rock Island Rifle Company. After parading in the streets, they will be marched to the fairgrounds where they will be drilled.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The ferry will run tonight to transport music lovers to Davenport. The celebrated orchestra of Leopold Damrosch will perform.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- A class of 16 nurses was graduated from St. Anthony's Hospital this morning at exercises in the hospital chapel. Mass was celebrated by the Rev. James A. Dollard, chaplain of the hospital. Diplomas were awarded by the Rt. Rev. Msgr. P. H. Durkin, rector of St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Rock Island.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Work has been started and is expected to be completed by late fall on the erection of a warehouse, office and truck well for the United States Plywood Corp. of New York in Milan's new industrial subdivision east of Highway 67 and south of the Hasselroth Trailer Court.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island City officials have thought about it for a week, and tonight will act on a proposal to charge fees to organizers of parade, marches, runs and other events in Rock Island.
Back: Available days in May 2008