Day in history for May 12, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The anniversary meeting of the Rock Island Bible Society will be held May 16 at the Methodist Church. Addresses will be given by several persons.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Six men obtained naturalization papers from County Clerk Donaldson yesterday afternoon.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The weatherman has promised a change from the usual routine of rain in the near future.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island and Davenport baseball clubs of the Mississippi Valley League will open the season tonight at Douglas Park. Rock Island manager Riley Parker intends to start Al 'Boots' Hollingsworth, hero of the 'Little World Series,' as a congratulatory gesture to the big southpaw who accounted for two of the Islanders' four victories in the series.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Edgar W. Peterson, 3728 13th Ave., Moline, planning engineer for lnternational Harvester's Farmall Works since 1944, retired Friday. He had been an employee of the Harvester Company's plant in Rock Island since 1934.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- The Rock Island Summer Festival Entertainment Committee is seeking volunteer performers for the 6th Annual Festival, July 7, 8 and 9. The committee is seeking jugglers, magicians, clowns, baton twirlers as well as those who make ballon animals or who demostrate handicrafts.
Back: Available days in May 2008