Day in history for May 10, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The picnic to Coal Valley Saturday was postponed because of rain. Many of the little ones were sorely disappointed.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Harmony prevailed at the Rock Island Council meeting last night and a large number of bills were passed.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The side wheeler, War Eagle, one of the fastest boats on the Mississippi, arrived from downstream this afternoon.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- 'The decision of the Illinois Supreme Court in declaring the Illinois 3 per cent sale tax unconstitutional this afternoon was welcome news to Rock Island merchants. R. A. Jacobson, managing secretary of the Rock Island Chamber of Commerce, said when informed of the ruling.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Four stone walls were all that remained today of the Galesburg Public Library as a result of a fire that caused damage estimated at nearly one million dollars to the building and its contents last night.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Bill and Chuck Bealer of Colona recently became a father-son Dispatch Super Bowler combination by each bowling 700 series. Both compete in the Port Byron-Rapid City league. Bill Bealer achieved Super Bowler status with a 701 series that included games of 243, 245 and 213. Chuck became a Super Bowler with a 706 series that included games of 216, 268 and 222.
Back: Available days in May 2008