Day in history for April 9, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- We have not received any telegraphic dispatches for two days because of the violent storm which has been taking place.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The annual campaign in the garden has been entered upon by everybody-except those who know by sad experience what it costs to raise each parsnip, beet and carrot.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island voters turned down the local option proposition by a purality of 1,859 ballots in yesterday's election.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island beer retailers played happy tunes on their cash registers last night as thousands of citizens and residents of Davenport and other Iowa cities indulged in an orderly celebration of the advent of 3.2 per cent beer.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Staff members, correspondents and special messengers of The Argus cooperated with personnel of station WHBF in bringing results of yesterday's primary election to the public in speedy fashion last night. 22 boys from Washington, Central and Franklin Junior High School served as special messengers.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- The Rock Island County Courthouse will not be used as a ballot collection point in the municipal election in order to get results to the public faster. Instead, election judges will return ballot boxes directly to the county building.
Back: Available days in April 2008