Day in history for April 8, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- All persons who wish to secure positions as teachers in the high school will meet for an examination April 15 at the school near the Methodist Church.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The Rev. Thomas F. Brochers has been extended a call to become the pastor of the First Baptist Church.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- At a meeting of the Old Ladies' Home Association at the Harper House this morning, it was decided to abandon the home. Financial reasons were given.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island School Board election will be held tomorrow with one member to be named to succeed George B. McNutt, who is not a candidate for re-election. Harry Denecke, Rock Island, is unopposed for election to the board. A light vote is expected.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Talk of a 12-month dog control program for Rock Island evoked some flippant comments during the post council session last night but action is pending. Councilman Glenn Wood expressed skepticism about the city's becoming 'an oasis' by enacting a 12-month confinement law for dogs.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Kathy Jensen Murchie has been named 'Young Dietitian of the Year' for 1983 by the Illlinois Dietetic Association. Murchie, of Coal Valley, is the chief clinical dietitian at Illini Hospital.
Back: Available days in April 2008