Day in history for April 5, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The Teachers' Institute is now in session in the Third Ward school house. A county teachers' association will be organized.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Bronchitis in various forms is the prevalent disorder in Rock Island today, doctors report.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Dr. M. M. Mangasarian of Chicago addressed a large audience at the Illinois Theater last night. He spoke on the moral side of the drinking habit.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island Democrats took another hitch in their 'New Deal' program yesterday, making a clean sweep of all 18 offices and unseating 12 Republicans who have been in office for varying terms of 3 to 27 years. Joseph A. Berger, Democrat, was elected supervisor in a tight contest with Ben A. Jacobson.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Seventy-five boys sold over 600 boxes of YMCA cookies to help send boys to YMCA Camp Hauberg this summer. This is the first general city wide sale the YMCA has conducted in Rock Island in 10 years.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Chad Unterscheidt has a thing about rats. 'I just like rats,' said the young author, a third-grader at W.L. Eddy School in Milan. Unterscheidt illustrated and bound the book himself. The book his first, won a spot on the roster of the top 15 books written by Rock Island-Milan children in the Young Authors Program.
Back: Available days in April 2008