Day in history for April 29, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Be sure to read the advertisement in these columns for Herring's Champion Fire Proof Sales.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Assessors of the different townships were qualified today by County Clerk Donaldson and held a meeting at the courthouse to decide the rate of assessment.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The weather bulletin for the week ending today shows that the average temperature was 11 degrees higher than for the same period last year.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Denton Hodges and Alvin Householder, seniors, were honored with membership yesterday in the National Athletic Scholarship Society of Secondary School. Jack Brown and Hugo Birkhahn previously recieved the honor.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- The Mississippi River today still held the body of a 10-year-old Rock Island boy who was drowned shortly before 5 yesterday afternoon when he lost his footing as he was returning a snapping turtle to the river.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- A chicken wing-eating contest will be held at 1 p.m. May 7 in the Coal Valley Lions Club shelter to benefit Winning Wheels, a center in Prophetstown for wheelchair users. Contestents are to seek pledges for each chicken wing they think they can eat within 15 minutes. There will be 1,200 chicken wings at the contest, prepared by Kentucky Fried Chicken.
Back: Available days in April 2008