Day in history for April 28, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Chief Engineer Stoddard of the fire department has made arrangements for ringing one of the church bells so that our citizen may know when there is a fire in the city.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The voting place at the corner of 5th Avenue and 22nd Street was destroyed by fire early this morning.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- President George E. MacLean of the State University of Iowa has accepted the invitation to speak at commencement exercises of Rock Island High School June 5.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- High school boys and girls of Rock Island and its trading territory are offered an opportunity to compete in a contest sponsored by The Argus and 57 retail merchants and business firms of the city. Prizes will be free trips to the Chicago Century of Progress Exposition.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- First Lt. Donald M. Wittevrongel, is one of 40 nominees for the new Koren Kolligian Trophy Air Force flying safety award to be presented annually to the pilot or aircrew member who most successfully coped with an in-flight emergency during the year.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Moline police are looking for a couple of burglars with a fetish for cleanliness, or maybe one very strong thief. Steven J. Scott said he had a 300-pound, cast-iron tub in his garage and persons or person unknown took the tub.
Back: Available days in April 2008