Day in history for April 27, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Patrick Meighan has for sale a very choice assortment of family groceries; and also wines and liquors. Persons wishing to purchase will do well to call upon him, or his gentlemanly and accommodating clerks.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Tomorrow will be 'bock' beer day and those who are fond of the foaming beverage will be in their glory.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Judge R.W. Olmsted in county court today appointed John Trenaman and Louis Rahn as commissioners to act with Mayor Schaffer on the board of local improvements.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Mayor-elect Clarence E. Hodson today began consideration of the nearly nine hundred applications from persons seeking appointment to municipal position in Rock Island or jobs on the city street deparment crews.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Volunteers participated in the first of two Sunday work days held at YMCA Camp Hauberg, near Port Byron, for the camp's summer opening June 9. Volunteers included members of the Rock Island Agenda club, Student Optimists, Amici club, and friends of the YMCA.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Moving the contents of seven libraries must border on the impossible. But the Moline School District's five elementary librarians and Bob Disbrow, coordinator of audio-visual, library services, and Title I, moved some 30,000 books.
Back: Available days in April 2008