Day in history for April 26, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- We are requested to say that a lecture will be delivered tomorrow at the Christian Chapel in Davenport by the Rev. Jonas Hartzell. His topic is 'What Has the Church To Do With Slavery?'
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The Moline Lumber Co. has filed a certificate of incorporation with capital stock listed at $25,000.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The second meeting in the interest of road improvement in the lower end of Rock Island County was held yesterday afternoon at the Rock Island Club.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island High School extemporaneous speaking season was brought to a conclusion when the Rock Island team defeated Moline High at Rock Island yesterday afternoon. Peter Denger placed first with a talk on the topic, 'Inflation.' Sidney Deutsch also of Rock Island, was second. His topic was 'Buy American.'
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Two young bandits robbed the Joy State Bank about 10 this morning, escaping with an estemated $3,000. Witnesses and then turned north and east toward Aledo.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Gary Brown of Moline, superintendent of Arrowhead Ranch, has been appointed to the newly formed Juvenile Justice Commission that will allocate funds for juvenile justice programs in Illinois, Gov. James Thompson announced Monday.
Back: Available days in April 2008