Day in history for April 25, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Those neat cottages belonging to Ben Harper on Jefferson St. are rapidly being completed. They will be nice houses for small families.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- J.S. Gilmore has men at work today laying pipe from his pork house on 1st Ave. across 16th St. to the main sewer.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Augustana College is planning a rousing reception for governor John A. Johnson of Minnesota when he comes here May 1 as the guest of the college.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Objections raised by the Rock Island Baseball Club to a schedule which has the Islanders opening the 1933 season on the road brought a promise late yesterday that a change would be made. The amended schedule will give Rock Island its first game with Davneport May 11 at Douglas Park.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Higher total tax rates for 1957 and a huge boost in property valuations will work their inevitable result -- bigger tax bills -- for most taxpayers of Rock Island County.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- The Quad-Cities first local public television station is scheduled to go on the air this fall. The equipment for WQPT-TV (Channel 24) began to arrive Sunday with the delivery of a $110,000 satellite dish antenna. The antenna is being installed on the Black Hawk college campus, the site of the station's temporary studios.
Back: Available days in April 2008