Day in history for April 24, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Yesterday was a very windy day - more like the later part of February than April.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- A baseball nine has been organized at Rock Island High School with Bernard Connelly as captain.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Turners of Rock Island held a jubilee last evening at Turner Hall and the 51st anniversary of the founding of the organization was celebrated.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Supervisor Edward E. Schafer of Port Byron was re-elected chairman of the Rock Island County Board this morning, defeating Supervisor George Andrews of Andalusia by a vote of 34-14 on the formal ballot.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Elizabeth Bergendoff, Rock Island, and Dick Johannesen, Davenport, students at Augustana college and holders of the Illinois State championships in women's and men's collegiate oratory, and their coach, Prof. Theodor LeVander, left this morning for the interstate oratory contests at Michagan State univiersity at East Lansing, Mich.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- It makes so much sense, it's a wonder it hasn't been done before. But Dale Blocklinger can hardly remember how he got the idea is to use video equipment - camera, recorder and television screen - to sell real estate. He shoots the film himself and keeps playback equipment in the office for all salespeople to use.
Back: Available days in April 2008