Day in history for April 23, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Since the victory of the anti-license party, we have seen more drunken men about the streets than ever before. What does it mean?
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Instead of leaning toward the river, 18th St. slopes toward 2nd Ave. and as a consequence is partly flooded today.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Tomorrow is the last day of service for the May term of the circuit court and many new cases are being filed this week.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Louis Andick was re-elected president of the Rock Island Hebrew Cemetery Assn. at the annual meeting of the association last night. Ben Kenter was re-elected vice president.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- The Rock Island branch of the National Biscuit Co. went into operation today as office and warehouse facilities were moved from Davenport to 104 10th St., Rock Island. The firm took over the facilities formerly occupied by the H.J. Heinz Co. The branch operation serves the area in a 75-mile radius of the Quad-Cities and employes approximately 35 persons.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- James R. 'Bob' Currieo, national commander-in-chief of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, plans to pay Geneseo VFW Post 5083 a brief visit April 30. The visit will be the first by a national VFW commander in the post's history, which spans nearly 40 years, local VFW officials say.
Back: Available days in April 2008