Day in history for April 21, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- A crowd gathered last evening in front of Bailey and Boyle's block to witness a fight between two draymen and their dogs. None of the men nor the dogs was injured.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Dull days are being experienced by Rock Island doctors. The health of the people of the city is said to be better than it has been for the past seven years.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The McCarthy Improvement Co. of Davenport has been awarded a contract to pave 7th Avenue, from 30th Street to 38th Street. Estimated expenditures are $36,000.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Many downtown stores are not collecting sales tax from customers in Rock Island. At a recent meeting of retailers it was decided to pursue this policy until an opinion on the legality of the sales tax law is handed down by the Illinois Supreme Court.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Quad-City employment stood at 43,555 on March 31, only 144 less than the total reported on Feb. 28, and 915 less than reported on March 31 a year ago.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- A semi-trailer carrying 41,000 pounds of cheese overturned near the intersection of Interstate 280 and Illinois 92 today, partly blocking the I-280 off ramp for more than two hours. The truck was eastbound on I-280 and flipped on its side when the load shifted as the driver turned on the off ramp.
Back: Available days in April 2008