Day in history for April 20, 2008

1858 -- 150 years ago
We notice groups of ladies daily, gazing at the beautiful photographs, displayed by Mr. Gayford, in front of this well known Daguerrian Gallery.

1883 -- 125 years ago
The meetings at St. Joseph church continue to be well attended. Tonight Father Cook will preach on 'Necessity of Confession.'

1908 -- 100 years ago
Property owners on Seventh Avenue east of 28th Street protested against sidewalk improvement work at a meeting last night.

1933 -- 75 years ago
Sacks of seed were distributed today by the Rock Island county emergency relief committee, without cost, to unemployed residents of Rock Island who will plant gardens. The seeds were furnished by the Illinois emergency relief commission.

1958 -- 50 years ago
A familiar sight on the Mississippi River for 20 years, the Dredge Rock Island passed by Rock Island for the last time early this morning on its way to the Great Lakes.

1983 -- 25 years ago
Any clothing merchant would tell you that when you're bursting at the seams, it's time to move up to a bigger size. Birley's recently moved into a new building at 2127 47th St., Moline, because it had outgrown its location in East Moline after 23 years. The new store is more than three times as large as the old one and has parking for 120 cars.

Back: Available days in April 2008



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)