Day in history for April 20, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- We notice groups of ladies daily, gazing at the beautiful photographs, displayed by Mr. Gayford, in front of this well known Daguerrian Gallery.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The meetings at St. Joseph church continue to be well attended. Tonight Father Cook will preach on 'Necessity of Confession.'
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Property owners on Seventh Avenue east of 28th Street protested against sidewalk improvement work at a meeting last night.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Sacks of seed were distributed today by the Rock Island county emergency relief committee, without cost, to unemployed residents of Rock Island who will plant gardens. The seeds were furnished by the Illinois emergency relief commission.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- A familiar sight on the Mississippi River for 20 years, the Dredge Rock Island passed by Rock Island for the last time early this morning on its way to the Great Lakes.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Any clothing merchant would tell you that when you're bursting at the seams, it's time to move up to a bigger size. Birley's recently moved into a new building at 2127 47th St., Moline, because it had outgrown its location in East Moline after 23 years. The new store is more than three times as large as the old one and has parking for 120 cars.
Back: Available days in April 2008