Day in history for April 18, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- A ditch to let the water off the slough is being dug on Jefferson Street. We hear that there is a probability that some enterprising individual may erect a saw mill on the stream.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Republicans nominated Fred Schroeder as their candidate for the special Third Ward aldermanic election.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Mayor Schaffer today issued an order stating that saloons in Rock Island must remain closed from midnight Saturday until 5 Monday morning.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island High School checked off another victory in forensics last night when the extemporaneous team won its first contest of the season at Galesburg. Eugene Beattie of Rock Island placed first.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- State health department officials are working on several theories concerning the cause of a hepatitis siege in Silvis grade schools and said today city water is not the cause. How the disease originally got started is still being checked out.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- The Nuclear Regulatory Commission claims Commonwealth Edison didn't correct a safety violation at the Quad-Cities Nuclear Generating Station for 40 hours and wants to fine the utility $60,000. The utility has an opportunity to contest the fine, but spokesman, Jim Toscas said no decision has been made.
Back: Available days in April 2008