Day in history for April 16, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- There are several small buildings under way here. We want a good hotel, a fine church or two to add to the looks of this place. Our big brick school house looks lonely.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Henry Lidders received the Democratic nomination as alderman of the Third Ward last evening.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The Honorable William Jennings Bryan was in Rock Island a few minutes at noon today, stopping on this way to Peoria, where he is to speak this evening.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island baseball club got off to a flying start last night in making definite arrangements for the start of the 1933 season. General admission in 1932 was 40 cents and now will be 25 cents for both men and women. Home games will be broadcast over radio station WHBF.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Plans have been completed for the planting of 3,000 more trees at the Loud Thunder Scout Reservation, near Andalusia, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Herbert T. Schaefer, scout executive of the Fort Armstrong Council, said today.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- In hopes of establishing a new business organization, a group of people met and nominated a board to look over surveys sent out to Orion School District business people. Another meeting is scheduled April 29 at Feed Company Restaurant, Orion.
Back: Available days in April 2008