Day in history for April 15, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- D.F. Kinney at his nursery near the city has all the sweet potato plants that may be wanted. The price is 50 cents for 100 plants.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The saw mills probably will commence operation tomorrow. When the saw mills start up, a great many workers will find employment.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Alderman last evening voted down the ordinances limiting saloons to one for every 500 population and the $1,000 saloon license fee by a vote of 9 to 5.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- August Poelvoorde of East Moline was re-elected president of the Quad-City Association of Milk Dealers at a meeting of the board of directors yesterday. Herbert Michael of Davenport was chosen vice president and James Downing of Rock Island was elected treasurer.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Junius P. Califf was re-elected president of the Rock Island Board of Education at an organizational meeting of the board last night at the School Administration Bldg.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Virginia Voss, Davenport, has been named volunteer of the year of the Gallery Guild of the Davenport Art Gallery. She has given her time at the gallery for more than 10 years. Mrs. Voss is a weaver and is known for the wool scarves and stoles she makes that are sold through the gallery shop.
Back: Available days in April 2008