Day in history for April 12, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- We are daily turning out printing jobs of exceptional beauty. Send in your orders, friends.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Aledo is in the midst of a measles epidemic and more than 100 children have been withdrawn from the schools. No fatal cases have developed.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- W. Maucker, chairman of the Democratic county committee, is in charge of the Jefferson Day banquet to be held tomorrow night at the Harper House.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Petitions to be addressed to Gov. Henry Horner and the Illinois General Assembly, urging repeal of the Illinois 3% sales tax, were in circulation in Rock Island today, after a meeting of retail merchants.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- A Moline youth, David Gibson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Wilbur Gibson, 1852 25th St., was named as one of four top winners in Junior Achievement regional sales contest held yesterday afternoon in the Blackhawk Hotel, Davenport.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- A military police officer from Moline has received the Army Commendation Medal for detaining and helping to lead to the arrest of a neo-Nazi follower. Spec. 4 John E. Blair, of the 529th Military Police Company, received the medal March 7 for detaining the neo-Nazi supporter outside the Heidelberg, Germany, Officers Club during an officers' ball Oct. 23.
Back: Available days in April 2008