Day in history for April 10, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- <fn201Arrangements are being made for the formation of a football and cricket club which will meet two or three times a week. This should prove very fine exercise for persons who are engaged in sedentary occupations.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- <fn201Owing to the rock formation at the foot of 23rd St. and the excavation for the water works protection, there is an artificial reservoir there which is frequently used by those in the neighborhood.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- <fn201Alderman Louis Ostrom presented a bill in city council calling for an annual license fee of $1,000 for Rock Island saloons.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- <fn201A violent thunderstorm, accompanied by the most severe hailstorm in many years, occurred in the Quad-City area. The icy bombardment caused thousands of dollars damage and property loss in Rock Island.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- <fn201The new Black Hawk District chairman, Boy Scouts of America, is Milton Hedquist, Rock Island, who was installed at the district's annual meeting.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- <fn201Rock Island's City Council is currently chosen on an at-large basis, but voters can change that when they decide whether to divide the city into wards. Opponents say the at-large system creates the possibility that geographic or social segments of the city can be shut out of government.
Back: Available days in April 2008