Day in history for April 10, 2008

1858 -- 150 years ago
<fn201Arrangements are being made for the formation of a football and cricket club which will meet two or three times a week. This should prove very fine exercise for persons who are engaged in sedentary occupations.

1883 -- 125 years ago
<fn201Owing to the rock formation at the foot of 23rd St. and the excavation for the water works protection, there is an artificial reservoir there which is frequently used by those in the neighborhood.

1908 -- 100 years ago
<fn201Alderman Louis Ostrom presented a bill in city council calling for an annual license fee of $1,000 for Rock Island saloons.

1933 -- 75 years ago
<fn201A violent thunderstorm, accompanied by the most severe hailstorm in many years, occurred in the Quad-City area. The icy bombardment caused thousands of dollars damage and property loss in Rock Island.

1958 -- 50 years ago
<fn201The new Black Hawk District chairman, Boy Scouts of America, is Milton Hedquist, Rock Island, who was installed at the district's annual meeting.

1983 -- 25 years ago
<fn201Rock Island's City Council is currently chosen on an at-large basis, but voters can change that when they decide whether to divide the city into wards. Opponents say the at-large system creates the possibility that geographic or social segments of the city can be shut out of government.

Back: Available days in April 2008



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)