Day in history for April 1, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Dr. Sibley is erecting a new office on Wells Street. We like to notice improvements in this area as it exhibits an energetic spirit and a determination to raise Moline from her dead ashes.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Old and young alike will start up the river tomorrow after the ducks.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The secretary of state in Springfield issued a license today to the Hastings Milling Co. of Owatonna, Minn., to incorporate in Rock Island.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island Local No. 113, Journeyman Unions Barbers, last night adopted a reduction in the schedule of prices for barbering service. It will go into effect Monday. Hair cuts will be reduced to 35 cents from the present 50 cent level. Shaves will remain at 25 cents. Hair cuts for children 12 and younger remain at 25 cents.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Although Quad-Citians have been enjoying spring weather for the past week, one sign of the season has been hard to find. Robins have been scarce. H. James Hodges, president of the Tri-city Bird Club, said the last two balmy days have attracted many robins to the area and more are arriving.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Unusually wet and mild weather in the Plains states two months ago could trigger a slowdown or temporary closing at IBP Inc.'s beef slaughtering plant in Joslin.
Back: Available days in April 2008