Day in history for March 9, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- There are certain persons about who depend altogether upon the coal purchased by others for a supply of fuel. These thieves will be closely watched in future.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The train coming from Chicago, due yesterday afternoon at 3 o'clock, arrived in Rock Island 20 hours late.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The county board of supervisors will allow no more bills for at least a year. The funds for 1908 have been exhausted.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Johnny Baltzer of Rock Island, who won the flyweight championship of the Quad-Cities four times in Golden Gloves tournaments at Davenport, became the champion of the Chicago area last night by defeating Leonard Cohen of Trafton's Chicago gym in the finals of the tournament of champions.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Twenty-one Rock Island High School seniors have qualified as semi-finalists in their try for a share of $500,000 in college scholarships being offered for the first time this year by the State Scholarship Commission.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- 'It's All About Remembering' will be this year's theme for the 13th annual Colona-Green Rock Community Memorial Day Parade to be held Sunday, May 29, starting at 2 p.m. The theme was chosen from third and fourth graders from the Colona Grade School.
Back: Available days in March 2008