Day in history for March 8, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- Snow fell last night, but not enough for sleighing. The wind caused it to drift to some extent.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock Island County Board of Supervisors today voted to appropriate $150 as relief to the poor.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Circuit Clerk George W. Gamble left today for Aurora where he will attend the annual Erickson Day banquet of the Swedish American Republican Club.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- The Tri-City Civic Music Association climaxed its second season last night with the presentation of the whimsical one-act opera 'The Secret of Suzanne' before an audience of nearly 1,500 persons at the Orpheum Theater in Davenport.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Mayor Warren c. Yerger of Rock Island indicated today he sees no serious trouble ahead in obtaining the extension which will give the city until July 1, 1960, to start the proposed $9 million expressway approach project for the Centennial Bridge.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Deere And Co. Chairman Robert A. Hanson will speak at the 34th annual dinner meeting of the Associated Employers of the Quad-Cities at 6:30 p.m. March 24 at the Blackhawk Hotel, Davenport. Hanson will discuss his views on the state of the economy in 1983 and how managers can use employees more effectively in the future.
Back: Available days in March 2008