Day in history for March 7, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The great number of wagons in town last Saturday made business look extremely lively during the day.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The mid-week meetings at the Methodist Church are increasing in interest and will be continued each Wednesday evening.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The boat club organized at a meeting last week was permanently formed at a well-attended session at the Rock Island Public Library last evening.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Robert P. Gilloley, Rock Island, was elected exalted ruler of the Rock Island Elks Lodge. He will succeed Elmore A. Gripp. Other officers named were William H. Voss, esteemed leading knight, and Frank M. Brown, lecturing knight.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- A probable sellout crowd was forecast for tonight's Rock Island-Moline regional championship basketball game at Wharton Fieldhouse. Only a small supply of general admission tickets remained shortly before noon at Rock Island High School, while available tickets were also being gobbled up at Temple's in Moline.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- C.F. Bracke, a founder of the Moline architectural firm Bracke, Hayes And Miller, has announced his retirement. Bracke, of Moline, was a founder of the firm in 1961. Partners Francis Hayes and Gerald Miller will continue to operate the frim under the same name.
Back: Available days in March 2008