Day in history for March 6, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The newly elected board of city officers will take the usual oath of office next Monday at the courthouse. Mayor Buford will deliver his inaugural address at this time.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- Every desirable seat in Turner Hall was occupied at an early hour last night by friends of the Central Presbyterian Church. The entertainment given was heartily appreciated.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- The Lake Forest College glee club, which will appear at Rock Island High School on March 11, also will sing at the Broadway Presbyterian Church.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Representatives of the larger stores in Rock Island and the Rock Island Chamber of Commerce conferred by phone today with Illinois state auditor Edward J. Barrett relative to the establishment of a currency exchange.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- East Moline police rushed gas to a stalled ambulance this morning that stopped on the highway east of Silvis while transporting an Erie woman to Moline Public Hospital. The Morrison ambulance driver obtained a ride as far as the East Moline service station where police were called to return him to his vehicle.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Carol Sue Tanner of Rock Island recently was named Woman of the Year by the Paddlewheel Chapter of the American Business Women's Association.
Back: Available days in March 2008