Day in history for March 31, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- A large fish was caught in the river at Moline, which, it is said, appeased the appetites of a large number of hungry mouths.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- The law concerning the closing of saloons on election day was never more generally repected than it has been today.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- Candidates for the Rock Island baseball team had their first workout at the Island City Park this afternoon with Manager Louis Cook in charge. Six recruits were on hand. More are expected next week.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- The social triangle portrayed in 'The Animal Kingdom,' current attraction at the Fort Theater, involves Ann Harding as the other woman, Leslie Howard as the husband and Myrna Loy as the wife who wrongs her husband.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- The first excavation for the auditorium to adjoin the Augustana Fine Arts Building is scheduled for tomorrow, but today the work actually began with the setting of the stakes.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- In 1979 Dennis Hitchcock, owner of Rock Island's Circa '21 Dinner Playhouse, was one of the founders of the National Dinner Theater Association. This week, for the first time, that organization's auditions were held in Rock Island. Producers and casting directors were in town from 14 different states, representing 19 dinner theaters.
Back: Available days in March 2008