Day in history for March 3, 2008
- 1858 -- 150 years ago
- The Davenport Artillery Company has offered its services to the government as volunteers in the Utah war, and their offer has been accepted.
- 1883 -- 125 years ago
- M.M. Gorbett is the only Democratic aspirant to the position of city attorney, but it seems highly probable that he will succeed Capt. Parks in that job.
- 1908 -- 100 years ago
- An attack on the local option petition will be made by the anti-Prohibition Society on the grounds that such restriction would be illegal.
- 1933 -- 75 years ago
- Contestants from Rock Island High School that will enter the interscholastic forensic contest to be held April 7 and 8 at Augustana College, have been chosen. They are Edythe Arshack, Eugene Beattie, Arno Denecke, Peter Denger, Sydney Deutsch, Grace Findlay, Reola Gibbs, Peggy Huthmaker and Margaret Strang.
- 1958 -- 50 years ago
- Mr. and Mrs. Michael Morrissey of Route 2, Erie, are the parents of a daughter. Betty Jean, born yesterday at Hammond-Henry District Hospital in Geneseo. Mr. and Mrs. Morrissey are the parents of six sons and nine daughters. They have one set of triplets.
- 1983 -- 25 years ago
- Alleman's Don Morris this morning announced his retirement as basketball coach after 33 years as head varsity coach at the school. He will stay on as the school's athletic director.
Back: Available days in March 2008